The July cold hit us a few weeks ago and I went looking for a new soup recipe. I love sweet potato and I love cajun spices, so this Cajun Spiced Sweet Potato Soup was going to hit the spot. In winter I love the warmth of spices and this cajun spice mix works for so many recipes every time. Combine it with the creaminess of sweet potato and split peas and you have a winning recipe. I served it with slices of my Zucchini and Olive Bread toasted.
Cajun Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
- Coconut oil or butter
- 600-700 grams Kumara or sweet potato peeled and diced into 1 cm cubes
- 1 bunch chives or garlic chives or brown onion finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely diced
- 2 celery stalks finely diced
- 1-2 teaspoons cajun spice mix add and taste and adjust
- Up to 1 cup yellow or green split peas
- 1.5 lts chicken or vegetable stock
- 3-4 stalks Kale stalks removed and leaves shredded
- 2 tbs chopped Italian parsley
- Salt and White pepper to season
- Add cajun spices and cook until fragrant.
- Add seasoning.
- Add split peas and stock and bring to the boil then turn heat down and simmer for 30 minutes or until peas are tender.
- Add sweet potato and cook until tender (approx 10 minutes)
- When sweet potato is tender, blend the soup with a stick blender, blending only portions so you still have some chunks left in it.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
This recipe is: