Wanting to make something special for your Mum or grandma this Mother’s Day, how about treating them to a little skin pamper with this beautiful Lavender and Vanilla Coconut Oil Rub Stick. Delicately fragranced with lavender and vanilla this rub stick is the perfect gift and so easy to make. The great thing about the rub stick is that it’s transportable and won’t turn to a runny mess in the warmer months and it’s full of skin nourishing ingredients. Perfect for travelling.
The best thing about DIY skincare is knowing exactly what’s in it!
Coconut oil – antibacterial, antifungal properties from the MCFA’s in coconut oil make this a great ingredient for skin care. Coconut oil is very good at penetrating the layers of skin and feeding the cells where moisture is needed the most. Soothing to a dry, itchy or irritated skin it’s one of my go to ingredients for all my skin care needs.
Shea Butter – I love Shea Butter. Almost as much as I love Coconut oil. Shea Butter is rich and well, buttery. With its high content of vitamins and fatty acids, Shea butter can reduce inflammation and other skin irritations. Over time, the regular use of Shea butter can promote softer skin and a reduction in wrinkles.
Apricot oil – it’s benefits are astounding. Great emollient, light in texture, antiseptic, antibacterial, anti inflammatory and anti ageing makes apricot oil a perfect ingredient for all your skin care products. Especially suited to an older skin but equally good for young skins because of it’s nourishing value.
Beeswax – Straight from the beehive, beeswax has been used for thousands of years for a number of medicinal purposes. As far as skin care goes, Beeswax is antibacterial and anti inflammatory and contains a high dosage of Vitamin A. Because of this it makes a great treatment for dry skin, eczema, stretch marks and acne. Beeswax is what makes this rub stick stay solid.
Vitamin E oil – A great antioxidant and preservative, vitamin E is an essential in all DIY skin care. Great for healing benefits, especially scars and stretch marks.
Lavender – OMG – what isn’t Lavender essential oil good for. Anxiety and stress relief, skin conditions, such as acne, eczema, burns, wounds, cuts and sunburn, antidepressant, relief from insomnia, fatigue, headaches and bug spray to name just a few. Plus it has an amazing fragrance.
Vanilla – Not just your favourite ice cream flavour, Vanilla essential oil has many health benefits ranging from an aphrodisiac to an antidepressant, Vanilla oil has been said to evoke happiness by those who use it or wear it. That’s good enough for me.
Coconut Oil Rub Stick
DIY this beautiful rub stick full of skin loving oils fragranced with lavender and vanilla.
- 2 oz beeswax
- 2 oz coconut oil or 1/4 cup
- 2 oz shea butter
- 2 tbsp Apricot Oil
- 4 Vitamin E capsules
- 8 drops Lavender essential oil
- 8 drops Vanilla essential oil
- Deodorant container – see notes for where you can buy one.
- In a glass jar measure out your beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil. The best way to do this is with a scale and weigh each out as you go.
- Place your glass jar or jug into a saucepan filled with a small amount of water in the bottom. You need enough water to fill up to about 1/4 of the way up your glass jar. Don’t overfill as you will risk getting water in your oil mixture as it’s melting.
- Turn your stove onto low to medium and let the oils and wax melt together.
- Once melted and beeswax fully dissolved, take off heat and wait for about 2 minutes to slightly cool.
- Add the vitamin E. Pierce the capsules with a clean pin or needle and squeeze the oil out.
- Add the essential oils and give a quick stir.
- The mix should be starting to turn opaque now.
- Quickly pour your mix into your container, before it begins to set.
To make this recipe really fancy you could add some lavender petals towards the end.
Where to buy Deodorant containers
You could always adapt this rub stick to suit many other uses, simply by changing up the essential oils.
Here’s some suggestions:
- For babies nappy or diaper rash add 4 drops lavender and 4 drops tea tree oil.
- For chapped heels add 4 drops eucalyptus oil and 6 drops lavender oil.
- For bug bites add 8 drops tea tree oil and 8 drops lavender oil.
- To rub on cradle cap use the same as for nappy rash.
So will you make a rub stick for a special mum or grandma this weekend! Share your photos on our facebook page. Or leave me a comment below.