Ode to walk on a tropical beach for all of our days and dash away the stress and the cortisol! If only!
So what is the stress about cortisol!
We all experience stress in our lives. Some stress levels can be managed, others can’t. This article is not so much about stress but more about what happens in our body when we are experiencing high levels of stress. Our adrenal glands are tiny and they sit just above our kidneys. Their job is to release cortisol in response to stress. Adrenal fatigue is the result of overworked and tired adrenal glands that are no longer able to regulate the amounts of cortisol into our bodies. Adrenal fatigue leaves us feeling exhausted and sluggish and open to illness. It also leads to the 3pm slump period where the need for coffee, chocolate or energy drinks are in demand. These foods create a massive surge of cortisol which in turn only depletes our ability to manage stress, even further. When we experience high levels of cortisol our bodies unfortunately take the toll. It can break down tissue and also cause disruption within our hormonal function.
The warning signs of adrenal fatigue can be:
- Weight gain
- Changes in mood
- Gut disorders
- Low sex drive or irregular menstrual cycle
- Signs of premature ageing
- Problems with falling asleep or staying asleep
- Diminishing bone health
- Achy joints, stiff neck, tight shoulders and lower back pain.
- Low immunity leading to frequent illness.
- Eat a nutrient dense diet. A diet high in vegetables, meats, nuts, saturated fats and oils, mineral rich foods and coconut. Some dairy and some fruit.
- Avoid flours and sugars, alcohol and drugs (prescription and recreational). Prescription drugs make your liver work harder at eliminating toxins which in turn works the adrenals harder. If at all possible try and avoid prescription drugs.
- Support your liver with a good liver tonic such as LivAmend from Body Ecology.
- Support your adrenals with minerals. Adrenals need minerals to thrive. Minerals such as magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, zinc and potassium. A good product such as Ancient Earth Minerals also available from Body Ecology.