This Sweet Potato, Kale and Coconut Soup was another menu item featured at my Photo shoot and Food Tasting Day a few weeks back. Packed with flavour, this soup is also nutrient dense with super foods like sweet potato and kale. I love kale, not just because it’s full of great things but it’s taste lends itself to almost any recipe, even green smoothies and it’s an incredibly robust vegetable that holds its shape well and doesn’t wilt at the hint of steam. This recipe is also low fodmap but I’ve given instructions if you want to change it up for those who don’t have a problem with onions or garlic.
Kale has a broad nutritional profile. Packed with vitamins and minerals and antioxidants like Vitamin C, beta-carotene, Kaempferol and Quercetin, it’s one of the foods that has the highest ORAC rating – Oxygen radical absorbance capacity that measures foods ability to scavenge free radicals. Free radicals damage the body on a cellular level and are the suggested culprits for inflammation and neurological and immune related diseases. On top of all that, and this is the cool bit – kale contains all 9 amino acids needed to form the proteins within the human body. Kale is the meat in a vegetarian diet! A versatile vegetable that can be steamed, fried, baked and souped!!
Sweet Potatoes are abundant at the moment and fast becoming the favourite over your ordinary white spud. Packed with Vitamin A, C and beta-carotene, this humble coloured tuber provides anti-inflammatory nutrients as well. Surprisingly, sweet potato although relatively high on the GI index has the potential to regulate blood sugar. Recent studies have shown that consuming sweet potato can alter the levels of adiponectin, a protein hormone produced by our fat cells that modifies our insulin metabolism. Coupled with its generous amounts of dietary fibre, sweet potato is a safe option for people with Type 2 Diabetes.
So really you could call this soup a Superfood soup! Add the goodness of coconut milk and and some spices and you have a dish that simply spells comfort.
Sweet Potato, Kale and Coconut Soup
A superfood soup full of nutrients and goodness. Perfect for a winters night.
- 1 bunch chives (shallots or onion can be used finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 bunch Kale washed and chopped
- 3 medium Sweet Potato peeled and cubed
- 1 lt <a href="https://coconutoilpost.com/special-diets/candida/candida-diet/nourishing-bone-broth/" target="_blank" title="Nourishing Bone Broth">Chicken Stock</a>
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or butter/ghee/dripping
- Garlic oil to taste (about 2 teaspoons
- Heat large saucepan or deep frypan and add the coconut oil or butter
- Add chives and cook until soft
- Add Curry powder and cook until fragrant
- Stir in Kale, Sweet Potato and garlic oil and cook for 1-2 mins
- Add chicken stock
- Taste and add some of the salt
- Bring to the boil
- Reduce heat and simmer partially covered for about 20 minutes
- Add coconut milk just before serving
- Heat through and serve
This recipe is low fodmap but can be altered by substituting onions or shallots for the chives and adding a clove or two of garlic for the garlic oil.