These delicious detox smoothies will delight your palette while giving your system a gentle flush and a boost of antioxidants. Packed with nutrient dense veggies and fruits, your tastebuds will wonder what has hit them.
Unlike a juice where the fibre has been removed and you are only drinking the sugar and carb fluid from the veggie or fruit, these smoothies make a great meal replacement for those summer mornings or the perfect afternoon pick me up instead of the 3pm coffee fix.
If you’re considering a juice fast to drop pounds fast, listen up. While strictly following a juicing program for more than a few days can promote a downward trend on the scale because you’re slashing your collective daily calories, you pay a price: Most plans leave gaping nutritional holes in your diet. The majority of the calories in these juice beverages come from carbs, including high amounts of natural sugar from fruits and some vegetables. That means almost all commercial juice plans are grossly inadequate in protein, a key nutrient that helps you feel full and energized while maintaining your lean muscle mass and boosting your metabolic burn. In fact, following a low-protein diet while simultaneously cutting calories causes you to lose a higher proportion of weight as muscle tissue (as opposed to fat), which puts the brakes on your metabolism and reduces strength. Plus, most of the fiber in fruits and vegetables is lost during juicing if the pulp is not added back to the drink… a common (and ironic) issue with commercial juice blends on the market. So you’re basically following a high-carb, low-protein and low-fiber diet, which can cause dramatic spikes in blood sugar, and lead to headaches, mood swings, dizziness, and fatigue. Another major drawback: liquid calories do not have the same fill power as whole, solid foods, which makes it hard to stick with a juice-only plan for longer than a few days without feeling irritable and completely ravenous….. The Juicing Craze
For an extra zap and metabolism burn, you can add a tablespoon of coconut oil to any of these smoothies. If you have tried the coconut oil detox then these smoothies would be the perfect follow on. These smoothies are also great for adding extra supplements if needed. Try adding a spoonful of your favourite probiotic, vitamin C powder or green powder like Spirulina or Barley Green.
Super Green C Slushy
- Place all ingredients except mango into blender and blitz until smooth.
- Add mango pieces in small amounts. Taste as you go, adding more if needed.
- Serve with ice cubs.
Protein Plus Green Smoothie
- 1/2 cucumber washed and chopped
- 1 Rib of celery washed and chopped
- 1 handful of kale or spinach washed and chopped
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 green apple washed and chopped
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder Sun warrior or Raw or 1 tablespoon chia seeds or flaxseeds.
- 1/2 cup almond rice or other non dairy milk
- Ice cubes optional
Raspberry Ginger Zinger
- 1/4 cup raspberries fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- A piece of fresh ginger about 4 cm grated less if you don't like so much spice
- 1/2 of a fresh orange peeled and quartered you could use lemon or grapefruit
- 1/2 cup coconut water use filtered water if wanting to lower the fructose levels
- Ice cubes - if you are using fresh berries
Which one is your favourite? Leave a comment or send some social power below.