With summer fast approaching the southern hemisphere Yipee! (definitely in sympathy with all my northern hemisphere readers), it’s time to find some new and exciting breakfast ideas. This gluten free breakfast trifle is very versatile with so many flavour options you could almost have a new meal everyday, and not just for breakfast. This recipe makes a great snack or even dessert. Prepare ahead of time (the night before) makes for a quick assembly in the morning.
Some flavour combo’s you might like to try:
- Millet flakes or buckwheat activated grouts – soaked overnight
- Use the coconut nutty granola as layer 1 instead
- Add chia seeds to layer 1 or 2
- Toast the seeds and nuts in the oven for a few minutes
- Add different nuts such as macadamias, pistachios or cashews
- Add nutmeg, mixed spice or cloves
- Try adding some fresh herbs like mint or a hint of basil
- Use coconut yogurt instead of dairy
- Try chopped Bananas, kiwi fruit or grapefruit segments
Gluten Free Breakfast Trifle
- Layer 1:
- 1/2 cup flaked quinoa use cooked quinoa seed or rolled oats as alternative
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons nuts of choice chopped
- 1/2 cup milk rice, almond, cows
- Cinnamon and vanilla extract to taste
- Layer 2:
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Pepita Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Layer 3:
- 1/2 cup Goats or Greek Yogurt or try my homemade coconut yogurt
- Layer 4:
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Frozen or fresh berries
- Layer 1:
- In a bowl add all ingredients and cover.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- To assemble:
- Layer the quinoa mix first, followed by Layer 2, 3 and 4
- Do as many or as little layers as you would like.
For anti candida the first 2 layers could be used but hold off on dairy (or sub coconut yogurt) and fruit until past the first 12 months. What to swap flavours around – try these combo’s:
Millet flakes or buckwheat grouts – soaked overnight
Use the coconutty granola as layer 1 instead
Add chia seeds to layer 1 or 2
Toast the seeds and nuts in the oven for a few minutes
Add different nuts such as macadamias, pistachios or cashews.
Add nutmeg, mixed spice or cloves.
Try adding some fresh herbs like mint or a hint of basil.
Use coconut yogurt instead of dairy.
Try chopped Bananas, kiwi fruit or grapefruit segments.
- This recipe can be made suitable for:
- fodmaps – limit shredded coconut
- sugar free meal plan
- anti candida – omit fruit and yogurt until after 6-12 months
This is one of my featured recipes from my up and coming sugar free meal plan – stay tuned for the release date.