A lovely friend bought me a rather large bag of Sugar Plums last weekend and I couldn’t resist making this Sugar Free Plum Jam recipe. While it didn’t set like jam does it doubles well as a topping or a sauce for either ice cream or pancakes. I just had to make these gluten free scones to go with it as it was a rainy afternoon and there is nothing more comforting then scones, jam and cream on a rainy afternoon.
Sugar Free Plum Jam
A versatile fruity accompaniment for scones, ice-cream or pancakes.
- 8 cups plums. I used sugar plums pitted and halved but any plums will work.
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2-3 tablespoons arrowroot powder (tapioca flour)
- 1 Vanilla bean (optional but yummy)
- Stevia to taste
- In a large saucepan place the plums, vanilla bean and 1 of the tablespoons of water and bring to the boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until plums are mushy and soft. (you will still see the skins).
- Cook until mixture reduces and thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat, remove vanilla bean and place mixture into blender and puree.
- Place mixture back into pot and reheat.
- In a small bowl mix together arrowroot powder and the 2 tablespoons of water until it is a paste consistency.
- Bring plum mixture to the boil, add the arrowroot paste and stir continuously until stirred through.
- Remove from heat, cool and transfer into jars.
- Refrigerate for up to a week.