Most of us, believe it or not are deficient in Magnesium. Magnesium is an essential mineral that our bodies need to function well. If you need a quick solution then this DIY Magnesium Body Butter could be the answer.
A mineral found in low levels in many foods, it is a component of more than 325 different enzymes in the human body. It plays an important role in hydration, muscle relaxation, energy production and, crucially, the deactivation of adrenaline. (source)
You can find more information about magnesium in my DIY Magnesium Oil article.
How to boost your magnesium levels:
- Supplements – either powder or tablet form. Often the powders have a list of ingredients, so read the label carefully to see how much magnesium is listed and if all the other ingredients are safe for you.
- It’s safe to get high levels of magnesium from food. But excessive use of magnesium supplements can be toxic. The upper limit — the highest dose a person can take — of magnesium supplements is:
- 65 mg/day for children ages 1-3
- 110 mg/day for children ages 4-8
- 350 mg/day for adults and children ages 9 and up (source)
- Studies show that the best way to absorb magnesium is through the skin. A dip in the ocean is perfect as long as you like to swim in the ocean and it’s not the middle of winter.
- A great alternative is a topical spray or a body butter.
DIY Magnesium Body Butter or Spray
Magnesium spray, while it is a quick and efficient, sometimes can sting the skin especially if you are deficient. One solution is to try spraying it on the soles of your feet. Perfect to do half an hour before bedtime. The other solution is to make your own Magnesium body butter. You get the added bonus of coconut oil and shea butter and without the sting.
So simple you could make it before bedtime tonight.
- ½ cup magnesium chloride flakes + 3 tablespoons boiling water or ½ cup premade magnesium oil.(Won't quite be the same as the magnesium level will be lower)
- ¼ cup avocado or almond oil
- 2 tablespoons beeswax
- ⅓ cup Coconut oil
- ⅓ cup Shea Butter
- 10-15 drops essential oils
- Place 3 tablespoons of boiling water into the magnesium flakes in a small bowl and stir until it dissolves.
- This will create a thick liquid. Set aside to cool.
- In a glass or mason jar combine the avocado or almond oil, coconut oil, beeswax and shea butter.
- Place in a saucepan with 1 inch of water and turn on to a medium heat.
- When oils have melted, remove the jar from the pan and let cool until room temperature and slightly opaque in colour.
- Blend oil mixture using a stick blender on medium.
- Slowly add the dissolved magnesium mixture (about ½ teaspoon) to the oil mixture and blend.
- Continue to do this until magnesium mixture has all been blended and is well mixed.
- Put in the fridge for 15 minutes and re-blend to create butter texture.
- Add essential oils to your liking and blend again.
For added magnesium: Use the Avocado oil
For added relaxation and calmness: Use Lavender Essential Oil
Have you tried magnesium oil spray or magnesium body butter? Let me know if you try the recipe and how it went.