This Low Carb Strawberry Smoothie is perfect for anyone wanting to follow a LCHF diet and excellent to use as a post exercise recovery drink. Full of healthy fats both from the coconut milk and coconut oil, you can add in an optional scoop of a good whey protein powder or gelatin hydrolysate that will boost the recovery of hard worked muscles.
Perfect afternoon snack
Great as an up and go breakfast option or as an afternoon snack for when the kids are back from school, this low carb strawberry smoothie tastes wonderfully delicious and nutritious.
Low Carb Strawberry Smoothie
The perfect snack or post recovery drink for those who work out. Full of healthy fats and flavour.
- 1 cup coconut milk or almond milk
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1-2 scoops <a href="http://geni.us/3m8V" target="_blank">vanilla protein powder</a> or 1 tablespoon Great Lakes Gelatin <a href="http://geni.us/322J" target="_blank">Hydrolysate</a>
- 1-2 tablespoons <a href="http://geni.us/14s4" target="_blank">coconut oil</a>
- 1 tablespoon coconut yogurt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon <a href="http://geni.us/1HB0" target="_blank">chia seeds</a> (optional)
- 1 tablespoon <a href="http://geni.us/2Jsh" target="_blank">activated almonds</a> (optional)
- Place all ingredients except coconut oil and blend or blitz with a stick blender.
- Add coconut oil at the end and blitz to combine.
- Serve and Enjoy!
The Whey protein comes from Goats milk as opposed to Cow’s milk. Goats milk is much easier to digest and both the casein and lactose molecules are much less in Goat’s milk and are also smaller therefore easier for the gut to break them down.
Gelatin Hydrolysate is gelatin powder that doesn’t gel so it’s perfect to use in smoothies. Gelatin has many benefits including bone and joint strength as well as being a good source of protein. If you are vegetarian then Sunwarrior protein powder could be a better fit. Note that the carb content will be slightly higher with the vegan option.
Love strawberries then try out my Strawberry Smoothie Bliss Balls recipe also perfect for a post workout recovery snack.
Do you have a favourite smoothie recipe? Join me on facebook and share your recipes and photos.