With summer fast approaching the southern hemisphere Yipee! (definitely in sympathy with all my northern hemisphere readers), it’s time to find some new and exciting breakfast ideas. This gluten free breakfast trifle is very versatile with so many flavour options you could almost have a new meal everyday, and not just for breakfast. This recipe makes a great snack or even dessert. Prepare ahead of time (the night before) makes for a quick assembly in the morning.
Some flavour combo’s you might like to try:
- Millet flakes or buckwheat activated grouts – soaked overnight
- Use the coconut nutty granola as layer 1 instead
- Add chia seeds to layer 1 or 2
- Toast the seeds and nuts in the oven for a few minutes
- Add different nuts such as macadamias, pistachios or cashews
- Add nutmeg, mixed spice or cloves
- Try adding some fresh herbs like mint or a hint of basil
- Use coconut yogurt instead of dairy
- Try chopped Bananas, kiwi fruit or grapefruit segments
- [b]Layer 1:[/b]
- 1/2 cup flaked quinoa (use cooked quinoa seed or rolled oats as alternative)
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons nuts of choice, chopped
- 1/2 cup milk (rice, almond, cows)
- Cinnamon and vanilla extract to taste
- [b]Layer 2:[/b]
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Pepita Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- [b]Layer 3:[/b]
- 1/2 cup Goats or Greek Yogurt or try my [url href=”http://coconutoilpost.com/ingredients/coconut-milk/homemade-coconut-yogurt/” target=”_blank”]homemade coconut yogurt[/url]
- [b]Layer 4:[/b]
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Frozen or fresh berries
- [b]Layer 1:[/b]
- In a bowl add all ingredients and cover.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- [b]To assemble:[/b]
- Layer the quinoa mix first, followed by Layer 2, 3 and 4
- Do as many or as little layers as you would like.
- This recipe can be made suitable for:
- fodmaps – limit shredded coconut
- sugar free meal plan
- anti candida – omit fruit and yogurt until after 6-12 months
This is one of my featured recipes from my up and coming sugar free meal plan – stay tuned for the release date.