Homemade Coconut Yogurt is perhaps the answer for dairy lovers who are dairy intolerant. One of my favourite foods was yogurt for many years until recently I conceded to the fact that I am infact dairy intolerant (have tests to prove it) and I really have to forego the creamy and light texture of cows or goats yogurt poured over a bowl full of berries. Well I don’t eat bowls full of berries either but it’s a blissful picture in my mind or a recent TV commercial I had seen for Yoplait!
This homemade coconut yogurt is light, creamy and good for you! Made with either probiotic powder or a BED culture it’s easy to whip up and will usually be ready within 24-48 hours, depending on the season.
With all the benefits of coconut cream or milk and some healthy probiotics this yogurt is easy to digest and tastes great without any added sugar, fruit or other additives that come with store bought yogurts. Coconut yogurt has become a bit of a niche market these days, popping up in health food fridges and trendy deli’s, but they are incredibly expensive, emptying the wallet of about $9 for a 250 ml container. So for my peace of mind and budget, this recipe is affordable as well as delicious.
- 1 x 400 ml coconut milk or cream at room temperature
- 2 or 3 DF probiotic capsules or
- 2-3 tablespoons DF probiotic powder or
- 1 sachet BED culture
- Stevia to taste
- Mix your coconut cream or milk with your probiotic powder or culture. Stir well.
- Pour into a glass jar and cover loosely and let sit on kitchen counter until mixture has thickened.
- Refrigerate and use within 7-10 days,
- Alternatively you could use a yogurt maker.
- Put ingredients into the jar that comes with your yogurt maker. Stir well.
- Place jar into yogurt maker, fill with boiling water or per instructions and leave overnight to set.
- Refrigerate as above.
This recipe is suitable for:
- Dairy intolerance
- Candida diets
No suitable for Salicylate Intolerance
What’s your preference coconut yogurt or cow”s milk? Have you tried making yogurt? Ask me a question or leave a comment.