These Gluten Free Pumpkin Scones are delicious for a special occasion or as a treat for the kids afternoon tea. They are easy to make and are very low in sugar. You could use a bought gluten free flour mix if you are running short on time or make your own gluten free flour recipe here.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Scones
- 1 2/3 cups gluten free self raising flour (you can buy a packaged one such as White Wings or Red Mill or make your own gluten free flour mix here
- 1 teaspoon Xylitol
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 20 g butter
- 1/2 cup cold mashed pumpkin or kumara sweet potato
- 1/2 cup buttermilk milk or cream
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C or 450 degrees F. For fan forced ovens reduce temperature by 20 degrees.
- Sift dry ingredients into large bowl, rub in the butter until breadcrumb consistency.
- Add pumpkin, buttermilk, and enough of the water to mix to a soft, sticky dough. Knead dough lightly on floured surface until smooth.
- Pat or roll dough out to a circle shape and using a cookie cutter or edge of a glass, cut out scones.
- Place them onto baking tray and brush tops with milk.
- Bake for about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Serve with jam and cream.