The one thing that’s always missing in an elimination diet is crunch. Take away the toast, the nuts and often the rice or corn crackers and you are left with very few textured foods. Sure there is always the carrot or celery sticks but somehow when something comes in the shape of a circle or a square and it has crunch, it seems to satisfy that nagging urge to hear your teeth clamp down on something hard. Here’s a great snack idea when you need a little crunch in your diet.These Flax and Chia Seed Crackers were my answer to the lack of crunch in the elimination diet that my daughter is on. They are made with only 4 ingredients and are half the price of similar crackers from the health food shops.
The following recipe is designed for a low fodmap, fructose free, low amine and salicylate intolerance diet. If you have no dietary restrictions than you could really go to town with flavours and ingredients. Try using some chilli, garlic, chives, basil, coriander and zucchini to achieve a really flavoursome cracker. This recipe can also be made using a dehydrator. As I didn’t have one I needed to experiment with oven temps and times to achieve the right combination for a perfect cracker crunch. If you want to dehydrate them then approximately 12 to 16 hours is required depending on your machine.
Hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
Flax and Chia Seed Crackers
- Turn oven onto 100 degrees C.
- Give the seed/meal mix a good stir and make sure there is enough water to cover. You may need to add more water.
- Let sit for approximately 1 hour.
- After an hour your seed mix should be resemble a thick paste.
- Use your fingers to combine ingredients well.
- Grease a flat oven tray and then line with baking paper.
- Depending on how big your trays are you may need two.
- Using you hands take portions of the seed mix and press onto tray until you have it spread out approximately 3-4mm thick.
- Put trays into oven and dry/cook for approximately 4 hours.
This recipe is also suitable for using in a dehydrator but as I don't own one I used an oven. This recipe is suitable for fodmaps, sugar free meal plan and anti candida.
This recipe is suitable for: