Another selection from my sister’s High Tea event over the festive season. These little Buckwheat Blinis can be made real quick using a packet of Orgran’s Buckwheat Pancake Mix. If you have more time and wish to make them from scratch then follow the recipe below.
This recipe can be made into pancakes, waffles, or blinis.
- 1 cup Buckwheat Flour
- 1 cup Tapioca Flour
- 2 eggs separated
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 – 11/3 cups of water
- 1/4 cup melted butter/ghee
- Mix the flours together with sea salt and baking powder in a medium size bowl.
- Separate eggs. Put the yolks into 1 bowl with the melted butter and the water.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form (do not over beat otherwise egg whites will be too dry)
- Beat egg yolks with the butter and water.
- Combine the egg yolks mixture with the flour mixture.
- Fold through the egg whites and mix until well combined and you have a smooth batter.
- Heat a fry pan or waffle iron with a little butter or coconut oil.
- Using a tablespoon measure, spoon out enough batter to make small pancakes.
- Keep cooked blinis covered until all the mixture is used.
- Top the blinis with cream fraiche, smoked salmon and capers or
- Try other meats such as corn beef, beef carpaccio or tuna.
- Add julienne vegetables, olives, fetta cheese and fresh herbs.