Another selection from my sister’s High Tea event over the festive season. These little Buckwheat Blinis can be made real quick using a packet of Orgran’s Buckwheat Pancake Mix. If you have more time and wish to make them from scratch then follow the recipe below.
- 1 cup Buckwheat Flour
- 1 cup Tapioca Flour
- 2 eggs separated
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 - 11/3 cups of water
- 1/4 cup melted butter/ghee
- Mix the flours together with sea salt and baking powder in a medium size bowl.
- Separate eggs. Put the yolks into 1 bowl with the melted butter and the water.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form (do not over beat otherwise egg whites will be too dry)
- Beat egg yolks with the butter and water.
- Combine the egg yolks mixture with the flour mixture.
- Fold through the egg whites and mix until well combined and you have a smooth batter.
- Heat a fry pan or waffle iron with a little butter or coconut oil.
- Using a tablespoon measure, spoon out enough batter to make small pancakes.
- Keep cooked blinis covered until all the mixture is used.
- Top the blinis with cream fraiche, smoked salmon and capers or
- Try other meats such as corn beef, beef carpaccio or tuna.
- Add julienne vegetables, olives, fetta cheese and fresh herbs.