I have been practicing converting recipes that I’ve made previously with wheat flour into GF recipes. Since discovering the combination of Coconut Flour and Tapioca Flour I have been amazed at how many recipes I have been able to convert successfully, This Blueberry Custard Slice is one of them and is not only Gluten Free but also Dairy Free. It uses rice syrup as sweetener along with the blueberries but is not overly sweet at all.
Blueberry Custard Slice
- 4 free range or organic eggs at room temperature separated
- 3/4 cup of rice syrup
- 125 gr butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 500 ml warm milk DF – rice, almond, coconut or use a dairy option
- 125 gr blueberries
- Vanilla powder for dusting
- Preheat oven to 150° C.
- Grease and line an lamington or slice pan with baking paper.
- Beat egg whites until firm peaks form.
- Set aside.
- Place egg yolks and rice syrup in a bowl and using electric beaters beat until light and creamy. Add vanilla and melted butter and beat for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk or beat in flours and then beat in warm milk. Let the mixture sit for a minute while coconut flour thickens.
- Using a metal spoon fold egg whites into the flour mix but only partly. Mixture should look lumpy. Pour mixture into pan and scatter blueberries across top. Bake for 45-50 minutes until pale golden and just set.
- Cool slightly in pan and dust with vanilla powder.
Also suitable for sugar free meal plans in the last 4 weeks.
Not suitable for anti candida diet.
This recipe is suitable for:
- fodmaps – replace almond milk for rice
- sugar free meal plan – okay to introduce in week 6
- not suitable for anti candida