Take anywhere, add anything green smoothie is my answer to a meal on the go. It’s very rare that I need a meal on the go as I’m at home most days, homeschooling, blogging etc and don’t have much need for having to grab a meal on the run. But there are some days when I do need one or just don’t feel like eating but know that I will need sustanance at some point.
The advantages to having a meal like this is that you get all your nutrition in a cup, it’s raw, and it’s great for weight loss. Green vegetables would have to be the Rolls Royce of the vegetable world. They have so much going for them which ends up to your advantage.
Here’s some of the benefits of greens in point form.
Dark green leafy vegetables are:
- a rich source of minerals (including iron, calcium, potassium, and magnesium)
- and vitamins, including vitamins K, C, E, and many of the B vitamins.
- provide a variety of phytonutrients including beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin, which protect our cells from damage and our eyes from age-related problems.
- Dark green leaves even contain small amounts of Omega-3 fats.
- A cup of most cooked greens provides at least nine times the minimum recommended intake of Vitamin K.
- Greens have very little carbohydrate in them, and the carbs that are there are packed in layers of fiber, which make them very slow to digest and great for weight loss.
Then there’s the added benefit of coconut water. **Note I wrote an article a few months back that took a stand against coconut water. What I didn’t state clearly is that there is coconut water that is full of added flavours, sugars, gums and additives. This is of no benefit to anyone except if you are wanting a sugar high! Then there is the pure 100% coconut water that comes from the young green coconut or from packaged water that states it is 100% young green coconut water. This is the coconut water I use and recommend in this recipe.
UPDATE: Just a note to people with any gut disorders (IBS, Leaky Gut, Candidiasis) Coconut water can cause problems for folk with these problems, so leave it out or use only fermented coconut water. The fermentation process will gobble all the sugars up and therefore make it easier on the gut and digestion.
Here’s what The Alkaline Sister’s have to say about it:
Some of the amazing benefits of coconut water are outlined here;
- 1. Hydration & Minerals It is loaded with electrolytes, calcium, potassium, & magnesium in an easy to absorb liquid vs taking vitamin and mineral tablets! It is considered an isotonic solution that atheletes are encouraged to drink as it easily replaces the fluids and minerals that are lost due to physical activity.
- 2. Blood Coconut water is almost identical to blood plasma and this makes it easy to use for blood transfusion. In cases of emergency coconut water has been used as an intravenous hydration fluid instead of the standard IV fluid. With it’s great potassium properties it can also lower blood pressure, stimulate blood vessel dilation allowing a greater volume of blood to flow preventing heart failure. It’s amazing stuff!
- 3. B Vitamins This natural beverage provided by Mother Nature contains all the B vitamins needed by the body, apart from B6 and B12.
- 4. Skin & Muscle tone It is believed that drinking coconut water can improve the complexion of your skin, and that it can promote good muscle tone. The coconut water can be used directly on the face for skin hydration. Coconut products are often used for hair and skin as common ingredients in beauty products.
- 5. Diabetes, Digestion & Elimination Coconut meat (dietary fibre) is highly effective for controlling your blood sugar as it slows down the absorption of sugars. When added to foods or eaten with a meal it significantly lowers the glycemic index of the food, of course very beneficial for diabetics. This fibre also acts as food for your gut bacteria thus helps prevents and relieves symptoms associated with Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, and other digestive disorders. Also, because the average coconut contains approximately three grams of fiber, drinking coconut water on a regular basis can help to prevent constipation.
- 6. Weight Loss One of the biggest benefits of coconut water for some people is that it can help with weight loss, in that it promotes good circulation and it speeds up your metabolism. Over and above helping you to lose weight because of an increased metabolism, you can enjoy a coconut water drink rather than a soda.
- 7. Kidney Stones People who have kidney problems and are plagued by kidney stones should drink coconut water in addition to taking their medication. Drinking coconut water regularly helps to break up kidney stones making them easier to push out.
- 8. Menopause The calming, cooling benefits of coconut water relieves burning sensations and hot flashes and “restores emotional stability in menopausal women”
- 9. Anti-aging Coconuts contain cytokinin which is a potent anti-oxidant that stops the destructive action of free radicals that damage proteins, fats and DNA. Anti-oxidants are beneficial for slowing down the aging process by regulating cell division and encouraging significantly more youthful and functional cells.
So here it is – the take anywhere, add anything green smoothie!
Adapted from The Alkaline Sisters
Take Anywhere, Add Anything Green Smoothie!
- 1 cup approx coconut water either from a young green coconut or packaged. If packaged make sure it is only young green coconut water with no added anything!
- 1/2 -1 medium lebanese cucumber chopped
- 1/2 -1 bunch spinach chopped
- 4 cm piece ginger
- 1/2 -1 medium zucchini chopped optional
- 3 stems parsley
- 1 Avocado
- 1/4 head fennel chopped optional
- 1/2 lemon or lime squeezed
- 1/4 - 1/2 bunch kale leaves pulled from their stalks
- Stevia to taste
- 1 tablespoon flax seed or coconut oil
- chia seed gel to liking
- 1 handful ice optional
- 1 heaped tablespoon spirulina optional
- 1 heaped tablespoon liver tone optional
- 1 heaped tablespoon protein powder optional