Want to have Easter and the bun and fudge and chocolate as well! Well here are 3 little gluten free and reduced sugar easter treats that will give you all the satisfaction and more. The Chocolate Coconut Bites are packed with coconut and coconut oil, so if you are looking for ways of increasing your coconut oil dose these are a yummy hit. The Almond Fudge is salty and sweet and well – fudgey and the hot cross buns are gluten free with very little sugar and come close to the real wheat thing.
Chocolate Coco-nutty Bites
- Grind the coconut flakes or shreds in a food processor until finely cut.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until mixture is set.
- Using your hands take teaspoon amounts of mixture and mould into balls. Place onto a greased and lined tray or use waxed paper on a plate. Do not put straight onto china as they will stick.
- Refrigerate again until they completely harden.
- Dip the bites into the chocolate, turning them to cover completely, then place back on the waxed paper.
- Continue until they are all covered with chocolate.
- Refrigerate until they harden. Store in a container on the grease proof paper in the fridge.
- Make sure the almond butter, coconut oil and honey are all at room temperature.
- Mix all the ingredients together. If using chocolate chips, nibs mix them through here.
- Line a container with plastic wrap or waxed paper.
- Spread mixture into tray and freeze until solid – about an hour. To prevent freezer burn place a lid on the container that you are using.
- Take fudge out of container and cut into squares, bars etc.
- Place them back in container and keep in freezer or fridge.
Gluten Free Hot Cross Buns
- 1 3/4 cups Almond Flour
- 1 1/4 cups Tapioca Flour or Potato Starch
- 1 tbsp Xantham Gum
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp dried yeast
- 1 egg
- 275 ml warm milk almond, rice, cows
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp Xylitol
- 50 grams melted butter or coconut oil
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Optional: 100 grams currants raisins, choc chips.
- Paste ingredients:
- Mix enough Tapioca flour with water and some oil until it resembles a paste.
- Mix together until it forms a sticky dough.
- With oiled hands, take portions of dough and roll into balls about 2 inches in diameter.
- Place buns into a well oiled/greased tray.
- Cover with plastic wrap that has been lightly brushed with oil.
- Leave to rise for up to 1 hour or double the size.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- When buns have risen make a cross symbol using paste ingredients and an icing bag with nozzle.
- Glaze with 1 beaten egg and tablespoon of water.
- Cook for approximately 25 minutes or until golden.
I buy my coconut oil Gluten Free and Reduced Sugar Easter Treats