Friday nights in our house have always been family night. For years I have made homemade pizza’s. I make my own crust, pizza sauce etc and my kids both say that it’s better than the pizza shop/take away version. That was all before my daughter and myself had to get much stricter with not eating gluten. That’s where my Friday Night Frittata was created.
I did try other gluten free pizza’s. I tried the coconut pizza crust as well as the almond pizza crust. I also tried a crust made from gluten free flour. None of these really spoke joy to myself or my daughter. So I decided to skip the crust and create this cheesy, creamy frittata instead. This recipe makes enough for leftovers and you can put whatever you like in it. Another reason I love it!
Friday Night Frittata
- 1 bunch english spinach baby spinach or silverbeet, washed and chopped.
- 1 leek washed and sliced thinly.
- 400 grams of pumpkin sweet potato or red skin potatoes washed and chopped into small cubes.
- Other vegetables - asparagus broccoli, peas, corn, zucchini chopped.
- 4-5 free range or organic eggs.
- 300 mls pure cream.
- Optional: leftover cooked chicken cooked chopped bacon.
- 250 grams colby cheddar, or mozzarella cheese grated.
- See notes for dairy free option.
- Preheat oven to 180 - 200 degrees Celsius. Grease a deep quiche or pie pan.
- Cook potatoes or pumpkin until just tender.
- Layer your vegetables into the pan. Start with potatoes and other vegetables. Put the spinach and leak in last. If using bacon or chicken add that as well.
- Pour eggs and cream in gently.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Put in oven and bake for approximately 45 mins or until the top is firm to touch.
- Serve with a green or garden salad.
Sugar free meal plan - as is and for anti candida or dairy free options.
Swap cream with dairy free milk (rice, almond, coconut) and replace cheese with a nut cheese (crumbled nuts with spices and herbs, salt and pepper) sprinkled across the top before cooking.