These Banana and Quinoa-Millet Muffins make a great afternoon tea or snack for the kids but are also a good breakfast option if you are on the run. This recipe is not only gluten-free but dairy free, low amine and salicylate as well as low fodmap and low fructose.
Gluten Free Flour Blend
Finding a good gluten free flour blend is not easy. Most gluten free flour pre-mixes are usually full of maize starch (corn) or stuffed with numbers and preservatives. It’s a far better option to buy the individual flours and make up your own. I have a recipe here that is good to make up and have ready to use. Alternatively, I often like to use a combination of different flours depending on the recipe.
For instance, I like to use buckwheat and tapioca flour for pancakes but like quinoa and millet flour for muffins. They all have different textures and taste, so it comes down to personal preference. Another alternative is to use the whole grain or seed rather than the flour. Check out my Choc Millet Fudge Cake that uses cooked millet instead flour.
Since my daughter was diagnosed with food sensitivities and intolerances, these muffins have become a permanent fixture in our freezer.
Banana and Quinoa-Millet Muffins
- 1/2 cup Millet flour
- 1/2 cup Quinoa flour or try buckwheat brown rice and tapioca
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ripe bananas peeled and mashed
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- t teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup you could try rice syrup or honey
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil ghee or butter melted
- 1/4 cup of flaxseed chia seeds or flax meal
- Optional: 1/4 cup chopped cashews almonds, pecans, coconut
- Pinch of sea salt optional
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon nutmeg.
- Stevia to taste I use about 1/8th of a teaspoon
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Grease or line a 12 hole muffin tray.
- Stir the dry into the wet, mixing with a spoon until well combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin pans and bake for 20-25 mins.
What’s your favourite muffin recipe? Share in the comments or jump over to Facebook. I would love to hear from you.