Since starting a low salicylate diet with my daughter I’ve had to abandon all the usual “go to’s” to make snacks and condiments. Before I would make a lot of things with almonds but unfortunately since they are high in salicylate I am now discovering cashews. Cashews have never been my favourite nut although I’ve never been sure why. Perhaps I had bought into a myth about toxicity levels in their husks or maybe because they are higher in copper levels than any other nut. But in general Cashews are a nutritional snack that provides magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, iron, calcium, selenium and potassium. Besides all that they are a versatile nut that adds crunch and creaminess to any recipe. Cashews are not a low fodmap food however as they high in Oligos – GOS and fructans. In saying that, it seems that fodmap foods seem to come down to individual tolerance. At the moment my daughter seems to tolerate cashews in small amounts. I know another friend who can tolerate leeks and garlic.
This recipe is dairy free, fructose free, low amine and salicylate and can be made low fodmap by swapping the cashews for pecans or macadamias. If you don’t have any dietary restrictions than they sky is the limit for the flavour combinations you could use in this recipe. Try Basil, coriander, rocket chilli, garlic, almonds or pine nuts and add some cheese like fetta or parmesan.
This dip goes great with veggie sticks or try these delicious flax and chia seed crackers.
- 1-2 bunches of continental parsley
- 1/2 cup of cashews – you may add more according to taste
- Olive or Flax oil
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt or to taste
- Food processor or blender
- Wash parsley and then chop parsley into smaller sections.
- Place the parsley into your blender with the cashews and blend or pulse for a few seconds.
- Add sea salt – 1/2 teaspoon at a time.
- Add oil – start with 1/4 cup and then add more to get the right consistency.
- Blend again until pesto is smooth or blended the way you would like.
- Store in air tight container in refrigerator for up to 10 days.
This recipe suitable for:
- fodmaps – use an alternative nut like pecans or macadamias
- sugar free meal plan
- anti candida