Baba ghanoush was one of my favourite recipes before I went onto a fodmaps diet. In fact, anything that had eggplant in it was good in my books. Baba ghanoush is an Arabic dip similar to hummus minus the chickpeas but uses eggplant, garlic, lemon juice, tahini and cumin. Since going onto a fodmaps diet the Tahini had to go and so to does the garlic. Hence this fodmap friendly eggplant dip was created.
- 1-2 large eggplants roasted
- 2-4 tablespoons garlic oil (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cashew or almond butter (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (or more to taste)
- salt and pepper
- To roast eggplants:
- Either preheat oven to 200°C and prick eggplant and bake for approx 30 minutes.
- or – use a gas stove and heat eggplant over flame, turning every now and then to blacken skin evenly.
- Place eggplants into a bowl of cold water to cool.
- Peel skins off.
- In a food processor bowl, add eggplant, lemon juice, nut butter (if using), garlic oil, and cumin and blitz.
- Taste and then add seasoning and adjust flavours.
- Place in fridge to cool and then serve with a glug of olive or garlic oil, a sprinkle of cumin or chopped parsley.
This recipe is suitable for:
- fodmaps diet
- sugar free meal plan
- anti candida