A few weekends ago I spent an afternoon at my friends delightful country house down in the southern highlands of NSW. A group of friends had gathered to celebrate the memory of a loved one that had past on and enjoyed a beautiful walk in the surrounding bushland as well as a scrumptious afternoon tea which included this Raspberry Coconut Shortcake with Raspberry Puree.
I was so pleased with this recipe as it started out to be something else. Sometimes the best recipes are those that you have to wing it and the proof was in the cake as everyone loved it. Hope you enjoy it too. It falls into the reduced sugar and gluten free category so there’s not too much guilt with this one.
- 75gr Butter
- 1½ teaspoons of Vanilla or Coconut nectar syrup
- ⅓ cup Xylitol
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1¾ cups almond meal or 1 cup Almond meal and ¾ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup coconut cream concentrate
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- ¼ extra coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 cup fresh raspberries or berries of your choice either fresh or frozen
- Raspberry Puree:
- 1½ cups Raspberries (frozen or fresh)
- 4 tablespoons Xylitol
- Stevia to taste
- Water to blend
- Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.
- If using frozen berries, defrost at room temperature in a bowl with a paper towel inside.
- The coconut cream concentrate should not be melted but spreadable. If it is hard, immerse jar in very hot water or simmer gently on stovetop.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C or 375 degrees F.
- Grease a 25 cm loose-based fluted flan pan and place on oven tray.
- Beat butter, vanilla or coconut syrup and Xylitol in a small bowl with electric beaters until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time until beaten through.
- In another bowl, whisk coconut cream concentrate, coconut milk and coconut sugar until well combined.
- Combine coconut cream concentrate mixture with egg mixture and stir.
- Combine Almond meal, coconut flour (if using), baking powder and salt.
- Add the Almond meal mix to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- If mixture looks a little dry then add as much of the extra ¼ cup coconut milk as you need to make a nice dough like consistency.
- Press dough or spoon the mixture into the flan pan.
- Sprinkle berries over the top of dough mix.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Shortcake should have a nice golden crust on the top.
- Stand in pan for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with Raspberry Puree and whipped cream.
- Raspberry Puree:
- Blend raspberries and water in a blender.
- Add Xylitol.
- Taste and adjust sweetness with Stevia.
- Blend until pureed.
- Strain puree through a sieve to remove seeds.
- To warm, place puree in a small saucepan and heat gently over a low heat.
- Alternatively warm in a microwave for about 1 minute.
Banaban Organic Coconut Nectar Syrup -350ml
Buy Coconut Sugar from here
You can buy Coconut Cream Concentrate here
I am affiliated with Banaban, Niulife and Amazon. So if you purchase products from my site it will help keep the articles coming.