Lets face it not everyone enjoys the taste of coconut whether it’s the fruit or the oil. It wasn’t until I spoke with a friend recently that I realised just how much coconut is so unappealing to some people. My friend so wanted to incorporate coconut oil into her diet for the health benefits she was prepared to try any recipe even though her list of the foods that she steers clear of all had coconut in them! So for all those out there who want the benefits of coconut oil but don’t want to eat it these 15 uses are just for you.
Coconut oil is packed with vitamins D, E and K, giving dry or irritated skin and hair the boost thats needed.
15 Coconut Oil uses that don’t involve swallowing it!
1. All over body moisturiser – Take a spoonful and heat between your hands and rub over your body.
2. Eye cream – dab a small amount gently around eye area to smooth away wrinkles and nourish the delicate skin.
3. Make up remover – rub oil gently over eyes and face to remove make up. Wipe off with cotton wool or a soft cloth. Rinse face with warm water and washer.
4. Body scrub – exfoliate your body before showering with an indulgent body scrub. Use 2:1 ratio of raw or brown sugar to coconut oil and drop in some spices or essential oils. Here’s my recipe for a beautiful Pumpkin Pie Spice Scrub.
5. Manicure oil – dab some warm coconut oil around the cuticle of your fingernails and toenails to keep your fingers looking perfectly groomed all year around. The oil will warm up enough if rubbed between your hands. If air temperature is below 75 degrees F or 24 degrees C then simply put the jar of oil into a jug with hot to boiling water and the oil will be melted in minutes.
6. Deep moisturising treatment – use enough coconut oil to saturate your hair, comb and clip. Place shower cap on for a minimum of 2 hours or wear overnight for a treatment for extremely dry and damaged hair.
7. Curl control – massage a tiny amount of oil into curls and waves to define and soften.
8. Frizz tamer – rub small amounts of coconut oil through frizzes or spilt ends to give a smooth and silky look.
9. Use coconut oil to soothe eczema, psoriasis and other skin rashes.
10. Toothpaste – make your own toothpaste with this recipe to help whiten teeth and keep Streptococcus mutants from creating cavities in your teeth.
11. Oil pull – take anywhere from 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil in your mouth and swish or pull. After 15-20 mins spit the oil out and rinse your mouth. A great cleanser for the mouth as well as pulling any unwanted toxins out through the saliva glands.
12. Heel balm – exfoliate rough and cracked heels with a pumice stone or file. Mis some warm coconut oil with a few drops of peppermint, tea tree or eucalyptus oil to it and massage into heels.
13. Lip balm – soothe dry or cracked lips with a small amount of coconut oil.
14. Massage oil – warm coconut oil with a few drops of your favourite essential oils and use to massage into sore and aching muscles.
15. Scalp treatment – treat dandruff, cradle cap and itchiness with a small amount of coconut oil. Massage into affected area.
Wondering where to buy coconut oil – go here
How about you – ever used Coconut Oil for Hair or Coconut Oil for Skin care?. What other coconut oil uses have you discovered? Leave a comment if you have other ways of using it.