This lovely Weekend Muffin recipe comes from Ella (daughter of a friend of mine). Ella loves to bake and is very good at coming up with easy LCHF goodies. You can hear and read more about her family’s journey with an LCHF diet here and here. These muffins are very versatile in that you can substitute many flavourings and different combo of flour/starches and flavours. If you don’t tolerate Almond Meal than I’ve listed alternatives in the recipe and in the the note section. If you change the flours however the carb load will be higher. This recipe is full of banana and works well when you’ve got some really ripe bananas to use up. I made them with apple and cinnamon spice last week and they were equally as yummy.
- 2 1/4 cups Almond Meal or 1/14 cups Almond meal and 1/4 cup Banana flour or another GF flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 Tbs Chia Seeds
- 1/2 cup Shredded Coconut or 1/2 cup Dark Choc Chips
- 2 tbs honey or maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbs coconut oil melted butter
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven 180 ° C or 325 °F
- Mix almond meal, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, coconut or choc chips, chia seeds and maple syrup in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs, banana, vanilla, salt and oil or butter in another bowl.
- In a small dish combine baking soda and ACV and let it bubble.
- Add the egg mix and the ACV mix to your dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Spoon into muffin tins lined with papers and top with cinnamon or shredded coconut.
- Cook for 20-25 mins or until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean
Do you love weekend baking? These Weekend Muffins would make a great Breakfast option. Will you try them? Share your pictures over on my facebook page.